You are here
English in Year 5 and Year 6
Monday 24th September 2018 1.15pm - 4.30pm
Tuesday 2nd October 2018 1.15pm - 4.30pm
This is a six hour course, run over two sessions.
With the ever-increasing demands of teaching and assessment in Years 5 and 6, this two-part course aims to support Year 5 and Year 6 teachers by offering positive, practical approaches to the English curriculum and end of Key Stage 2 assessments.
This course is intended for teachers new to teaching in Year 5 or Year 6, as well as experienced Year 5/6 teachers looking to refresh their practice.
Year 5 and Year 6 colleagues could attend together so that the approaches to the curriculum and preparation for end of Key Stage 2 assessments are spread across the phase.
The course will:
- address the requirements of the Year 5/6 Programme of Study for English and the associated assessment frameworks, including national tests
- unpick the programmes of study for reading, grammar and writing, offering practical and enjoyable teaching approaches
- explore creative ways to develop and maintain pupils' independence, motivation and enthusiasm in reading and writing
- offer effective strategies to prepare pupils for the end of Key Stage 2 tests
- provide activities and takeaway resources to support best classroom practice
Feedback from 2017 course
100% delegates felt that the course represented Excellent or Good value for money.
100% delegates felt that the course was Extremely Valuable or Very Valuable for their current role.
Delegates also commented that they had come away with:
- More in-depth understanding of year 6 curriculum with a general overview of expectation for year 6
- New ideas to develop reading and writing skills
- Easy to use simpler resources to make
- Ideas for taking reading back to basics