You are here
Developing Comprehension through Guided Reading across KS1
Thursday 4th February 2021 10am - 12noon
Many teachers use guided reading to teach and develop reading in their KS1 classes but how can we ensure that guided reading is used effectively as a teaching tool to develop, secure and embed readers’ key skills and strategies towards independent application?
This course will look at the elements of reading comprehension that KS1 pupils need to acquire and then the principals of guided reading as an effective teaching tool to scaffold pupils’ development of these strategies and skills. The various approaches to guided reading will be explored to consider how these may be used effectively to teach and develop pupils’ reading.
- develop an understanding of the elements of reading comprehension and the strategies and skills needed for pupils to understand and enjoy their reading
- consider the range of approaches to guided reading and how they can be used effectively to meet learners’ needs across KS1
- discuss the use of quality, focused questioning in guided reading
- explore the development of meaningful discussion within guided reading sessions
- acquire practical ideas and resources for use back in school